|Sailing in Decline? Not in Mullingar!!
The Irish Sailing Association has reported a general downturn in sail racing and a 25% loss in membership from its peak to 2014. A UK survey reported that in general sailing has been declining in popularity over the last decade, with the decline most pronounced in the small boats sector. With this alarming news in mind, the MSC committee has risen to the challenge and has drafted proposals for a Club Development Strategy for 2015 – 2020. We are looking for your input, ideas and suggestions to help with this plan. The British Marine Federation has looked at the growth of 567% in British Cycling since 2005 and asks can sailing do the same? With our combined experience, knowledge and skills we can ensure the sustainability of sailing for future generations. If we don’t do it for ourselves, nobody else will do it for us!!
Club Forum and Start of Season Get-Togetherr Saturday 28th March
It is planned to kick off the season on Saturday 28th of March at 3.00 p.m. with a get together in the clubhouse. The draft Club Development 2015 – 2020 document will be under discussion on the day and we wish to consult all our members to better understand the range of sailing and social activities and facilities we need to provide to serve our existing members and attract new members. Refreshments will be served.
Club Development Strategy 2015 – 2020
The following are some proposals which have been put forward and we would like to get your opinions on these as well as any other suggestions you may have. As already mentioned the strategy will be discussed at our get-together on Saturday 28th of March or indeed anytime by contacting a committee member.
· Family Sailing Day; perhaps make Saturdays a day to expand access to boats and sailing to all family members.
· Training/Rental Club boats; Purchase of a number of Club Training boats.
· Club boat funding; investigate securing grants, funding etc.
· Adult training; expand the course to involve our junior instructors with follow on training for adults trainees
· Transition Year students; look at providing a Start Sailing Course
· Race Coaching; get some quality race coaching for the racing sailors.
· Coaching days for juniors outside the junior course.
· Qualify Rib Drivers.
· Run a certified course in ‘CPR and Drowning Resuscitation’.
· Develop strategies to keep 16 – 22 year olds sailing.
· Local Advertising.
· Introduce more diversity/options for racing and leisure sailing.
· Develop sub-committees to complete short, specific projects.
· Develop a leisure sailing element in the club using the Smugglers.
29th June to 17th July 2015
We hope to have the following instructors for the course: Darach Milner, Kevin Hackett, Anna Potterton, Josh McCormack, Isabelle Duffy, Hugh Duffy, Jennifer Hunt, Laura Hunt and Roisin Hackett
This year, we are hoping to encourage non sailing parents to actively participate in any area of the club where they feel they may like to contribute. Volunteers are always required for cleanup, catering, boat repairs, dry land supervision etc.
8th June to 15th June
ISA’s Ciarán Murphy meets with Committee
ISA held a regional meeting in January to outline and allow discussion of a new strategic plan. This meeting was attended by Brian Walker and James Hackett. Again the decline in sailing membership was discussed and the ISA strategic plan will be presented at the 2015 AGM in March.
The club invited ISA’s Ciarán Murphy to a meeting with the committee to discuss the benefits and advantages of our club retaining ISA affiliation. Presently the ISA is looking to develop closer links with clubs and is appointing regional officers to liaise with clubs.
Electronic Log Books
ISA is actively looking at the implementation of an electronic log book scheme for sail training.
· Junior GP14 (under 20s) being run over the Easter weekend in Youghal Sailing Club, contact Cormac Meaney.
· Sunday 12th April Practice/Training day (Get your boats down!!)
· Saturday 18th April GP14 O’Tiarnaigh Challenge Swords Sailing Club
· Sunday 19th April Sunday Series I starts
· Wednesday 22nd April Wednesday Series I starts 7.00 gun
We really want to hear your views and preferences for developing this important aspect of our Club…… so please make a note to join us in the Clubhouse on Saturday 28th March at 3.00 p.m.
The Full List of Winners in 2014
Mirror Trophy: Michael & Jack Moran
One-and-a-half-tonne cup: Gary Walshe & Michael Higgins
Following trophies were kindly sponsored by Paddy Mulholland of Vista Med:
Vista Med Cup: Stuart McCormick & Bernie Briody
Championship Shield: Alan Pinder & Kevin Hackett
Founders’ Shield: James & Rosie Hackett
Jubillee Jug: James & Rosie Hackett
Lough Owel Plate: Stuart McCormick & Bernie Briody
Church Island Chalice: Micheal Collender & Brian Walker
Travellers’ Shield: Michael Collender & Brian Walker
Watching the Leinster GP 14 Regatta
Lough Owel May 2014 – Bob Heath, Michael Higgins,
Sean Duffy and Keith Pinder
A very colourful and comprehensive calendar of the upcoming season is available on club website. It details all racing, courses, social events and details of rescue boat duty.